Our roadtrip from last Sunday morning. After we dropped Piper and Dom off to the boarding house, we went on our way to Penang. Penang and Malacca are both my favourite towns in Malaysia. I can never be bored of both places. There's always so much to see, so much to eat and so much to be photographed in both places. If you are a first-time tourist to Malaysia, don't forget to visit both towns. They still have the old town charm. Both towns whispers stories to you when you weave in and out through the alleys. There's always something to discover there.

St Anne at Bukit Mertajam

Before we get to Penang, we stopped over to see Anne. Anne as in St Anne's Church in Bukit Mertajam. The St. Anne's Annual Novena & Feast Day Celebration starts on the 23 July - 1 August 2010. We are usually a week earlier.

The old church which is now the chapel

Shrine at the top of the hill

We have been coming to St Anne even when my mom was around. It was always happier when she was with us. But as the years wear on, the final years of her life, she was not able to go up the hill to pray at the shrine anymore. It is quite a steep hill. She sits at the foot of the hill and wait for us to come down. I am sure my mom was with us last Sunday.

This is where my mom used to sit while waiting for us to come down from the hill.
This lady is waiting for her kids to come down from the hill too.

Both my sister and i will usually come home from Kuala Lumpur, do a pitstop in Ipoh to pick my parents and Boy to go straight to St Anne. I am usually quite clueless with strange roads. I get lost all the time. My sister however is very smart with roads. We depend on her to get us there each year. Strangely each year we seem to take a different route to St Anne. The roads keep changing. But if you head for the hill, you will always reach the St Anne's Church. There's only one hill in Bukit Mertajam.

St Anne has granted many prayers. Especially for couples that pray for children. On one of our visits there, i saw a couple holding a very small baby and running up the stairs to the chapel. Both grinning and very happy. Their prayers were answered. Its is a very holy and peaceful place.

New church of St Anne. Minangkabau roof and lots of natural light flowing in. 

If you want to visit St Anne's one day, here's the link to their official site. http://stannebm.org
It is a very beautiful sanctuary for prayers.

And off we went to Penang after visiting Anne :) Tomorrow hopefully.. to be continued.

Each year i take photographs of this same place. Here are some of our old pictures of St Anne. Boy is home. Goodnight people. Have a great weekend ahead.

22 woofs:

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Thanks for the tour! Enjoy your weekend too!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

The Daily Pip said...

These pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more tomorrow.

Your pal, Pip

Chewy said...

Wow nice pictures!

Paws and Licks
Chewy

Duni said...

those are really cool and atmospheric photos, Anny!
Looks like a great place to
visit!

p.s. if you ever find that purse be sure to use it - they are totally in fashion now :)

Anonymous said...

I'm left behind as always! booo hooo boo hooo..

Guess I'll go find a desert nearby and sit there.

Oh..there IS a desert nearby!

Stormy..

BeadedTail said...

The photos are beautiful! Looks like a wonderful place to visit and I hope to one day!

Spiffy said...

Wah, I didn't know St. Anne's church got new building. Shows you how often I even go to church ... LOL!

Spiffy said...

Actually to be honest, I've never even been to St. Anne's church before la ... but my grandmother and mom have been there countless of times for St. Anne's feast. Can't help it la, I'm a little devil so never go to church one ... LOL!

leewo said...

Beautiful church!
I like the first photo especially.

Life With Dogs said...

That last pic is amazing - the light looks like a slice of heaven!

baincardin said...

Hi Anny! Woof! Woof! ^_^

luv d picture of Minangkabau roofs. it is so classy and unique!

*kalo dibuat HDR pon best! ^_^'

booahboo said...

More pics to come Maggie :) Happy Wednesday to you dear!

booahboo said...

Sorry we got caught up in some work Pip.. we'll be posting some more pics soon :)

booahboo said...

Chewy chewy is here. Thanks for dropping by dear.. i'll tell Piper you came by :)

booahboo said...

It is a pretty nice place to be for some peaceful time Duni.

I haven't found the purse yet.. but soon :)

booahboo said...

You are always left behind Stormy.. hehehhehehee.. la la laa

booahboo said...

Come and visit our country one day... you'll love the food and the sights :)

booahboo said...

St. Anne's in BM.. not the one in Klang. This place is hugeeeeeeeeeeeeee... you should drop by if you are on your way to Penang for a holiday one day :)

booahboo said...

I am not much of an angel myself. God only knows :) We usually don't go on the actual day of the feast as its pretty crowded and i'll probably faint when there's loads of people weave in and out beside me. I love to a week earlier and enjoy the peaceful place to have my conversations with Anne.

booahboo said...

Thanks Lee :) I have many more shots from different angle.. it is a nice place.

booahboo said...

A church is the closest we could get to heaven for the time being.. to have our conversations with him. A slice of heaven indeed!

booahboo said...

Hi Bain... :) timokasih kerana singgah kemari

The roof of this new church is very special. When the choir sings... the sound is superb!

memang mesti di HDRkan :)

top